Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Yesterday morning I gave my dog cooked chicken breast. It

Customer Question

Hello, Yesterday morning I gave my dog cooked chicken breast. It was filled with an artichoke dip which I removed and rinsed away. I later found that the second ingredient was onion. He didn't have any of the dip. However this morning he had a small amount of diarrhea. He seems fine otherwise, but I wanted to know if the onion could have permeated into the chicken and if I need to take him to the vet. Thanks so much, Nervous Mommy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Just a bit of diarrhea. So far he seems fine otherwise
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's acting fairly normal. Maybe a slight stomach upset, but no pain
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo age 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He seems to normally have a slightly sensitive tummy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, Nervous Mommy; generally, most dogs need to eat at least 0.5% (5g/kg of body weight) of onions to develop onion toxicosis which appears as a Heinz body anemia a few days after ingestion. That didn't happen but as with ingesting anything unusual, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise - as appears to be the case. There's no reason to treat Milo at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.