Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My bulldog was just diagnosed with sugar, he is 11 but is

Customer Question

my bulldog was just diagnosed with sugar, he is 11 but is doing great with the insulin shots, the vet wanted to see him after a week, so my husband took him Tuesday and his sugar was great, after he got home for a half hour he couldn't stand up on his own. He was fine up to that point, its his back legs. Do you think when they took his blood they hit a nerve. He is starting to stand now a few times and can walk a little.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no but they are red he has allergies, but that's not it. He was fine until after that blood test.
JA: What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Brutus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Brutus?
Customer: He does have arthritis, but he was walking fine going into the vet's office and once he got home, his back legs were weak.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

First, I would have a conversation with your local veterinarian about how Brutus is walking, to make sure that they know he is having issues. When blood is drawn it can be drawn from the neck or the legs. Neither area would cause the signs that you are describing with Brutus. Since the difficulty is with the back legs, I would be concerned about either his arthritis becoming worse or weakness associated with the diabetes. Diabetics will become weak if their blood sugar gets too low. Has Brutus been eating and drinking normally? Are you checking his urine for sugar?