jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

His left eye is closing looks almost like lazy eye or a

Customer Question

His left eye is closing looks almost like lazy eye or a cataract but is not foggy. The skin that covers the actual eyeball looks to be trying to protect it and is covering part of the eyeball. I have called 7 vets and no one can see him till tomorrow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is 7?
Customer: 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about 7?
Customer: No. Just started about 30 45 minutes ago he is acting normal we do have another dog that they wrestle and play.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It said my estimated wait for answer was 8 minutes that was 30 minutes ago
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 29 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm sorry for the delay. It just came up in the area I am allowed to respond in. It sounds like you are describing the third eyelid coming up to protect the eye. This is the way a dog's eye protects itself and helps aid in the healing process. Often this third eyelid comes up when the dog has a scratch or ulceration on the eye itself. This can happen from a foreign object entering the eye such as a piece of grass, branch that hits the eye or even from the dog scratching at the eye. Eyelashes that are not growing in right can also lead to scratches on the eye and lead to the third eyelid coming up.

You can flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use. This may help dislodge any foreign object if one is still in the eye. Your vet will likely stain the eye to look for ulcerations. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these types of problems. This is often available at feed supply stores.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 20 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.