Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is fourteen and is drinking a lot and all of a sudden

Customer Question

my dog is fourteen and is drinking a lot and all of a sudden his back legs are folding under him...is he dying?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: my son is looking now but he feels so light when i carry him this happened to my other dog and eventually he had to be put to sleep
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he has a collpased trachea and takes medicine and he also takes lasix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is he still bright, alert and responsive?
2) Wehn was the last time he had blood work performed?
3) When did the high volume of water consumption start?
4) What breed of dog is he?
5) What meds is he taking aside from lasix?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
bright alert wagging his tail
Bloodwork about a year ago
High water consumption just started
Mini.pincher pug breed.
Hydrocone for trachea

If he's bright, alert and wagging his tail it's very unlikely that he's dying.

Because of the high volume of water consumption having started recently, blood work and a urinalysis would be wise to rule out bladder infection, kidney disease, diabetes, cushings disease, etc. The hydrocodone and lasix should not be causing this symptom. One diagnosed and treated, your vet may no longer have the leg folding episodes you're seeing which may be due to weakness related to an underlying illness.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion feeling today?