Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has what appears to be bumps or welts all over him

Customer Question

my dog has what appears to be bumps or welts all over him and he scratches feverishly. These welts or bumps vanish, then comes back.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dog's name is ***** ***** he is one year znd one month old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Pocco?
Customer: No, nothing special.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

The signs you are reporting are most suggestive of hives in response to an allergy. If they are coming and going, then we'd be concerned that Pocco has had recurrent exposure to the allergen (which could be a plant, a diet component, something in the house, etc). Therefore, we do want to remove his access to any new foods or items at home and monitor what he is in contact with outside.

As well, to counter the hives and the itchiness, you can start himn on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if this isn't enough to settle his skin, then we'd want his vet to use a strong injectable steroid to settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )