Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our older dog, age 15, is drinking large amounts of water,

Customer Question

Our older dog, age 15, is drinking large amounts of water, much more than normal. Is this a sign of a problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She is drinking a large amount of water. She is old (15) and in good health. This is new.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No where. Just drinking a lot of water.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Doesn't seem to be
JA: How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: no change. She is sedintary.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Katie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Katie?
Customer: She had a cancer removed from her ear recently. Local vet said she seems to have a infected tooth
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she been drinking more than usual?

2- Is she currently on any medications?

3- Is she losing weight?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Linda, as you have suspected when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem, I am sorry. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. For example, if she has an infection she will be treated with antibiotics, if she is a diabetic she will be treated with insulin, etc. So, the treatment plan will be based on test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter