Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a mini schnauzer, and she has a 2-3 cm soft moveable

Customer Question

I have a mini schnauzer, and she has a 2-3 cm soft moveable cyst on her left side. Her activity is normal, and she does not act like the cyst bothers her. Should I have it checked or will it go away on its own?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she had the lump?

2- Where exactly is it located?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had the lump for about 3 months. It is located on her left side behind her front leg.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Is it below or above the skin?

2- It has not changed in the last 3 months, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is below the skin and has not changed in the last few months.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Marcella, I am sorry you are having this problem with Dolly. In response to your question, it is not likely for the lump to go away. There are many different types of lumps that grow under the skin of dogs. They can be malignant or benign. In this case, the fact that she has had it for 3 months without any change it is very likely that it is a benign lump. This is nothing to be overly concern about. However, to determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your time and very helpful information. Have a good night.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome, Marcella.

Good night. :)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marcella,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dolly. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter