jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

We have 1 1/2 week old puppies and they are pooping today,

Customer Question

We have 1 1/2 week old puppies and they are pooping green today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: We have 11 of them, they are not named yet
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about yet?
Customer: they have been fine except for today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've also been breeding dogs for over 20 years now. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A dog and pup's feces can be green for a few different reasons. Basically a green stool indicates food is moving Throughout he gastrointestinal tract too quickly. Possible causes could be irritable bowel syndrome, a parasitic problem such as giardia or coccidia. A heavy worm load might also be to blame. A yellowish green stool could indicate herpes virus.

Almost all puppies have worms. As part of a their lifecycle, worm eggs hatch in a pregnant mother when her hormones shift. This helps ensure the pups contract the parasites to continue the life cycle. You usually start deworming mom and puppies when the pups are 2 weeks old. A dewormer for roundworms and hookworms is commonly used. You repeat the deworming every 2 weeks until the pups go to new homes. This should ensure that they are worm free when they leave you.

The feces might also be moving through their system too fast due to mom eating something that affected her milk. If they continue to be green for more than a couple of days, you might want your vet to take a quick look at the pups. Be sure they know the pups age so they are brought in before the other patients.

If the green stools clear up, then you can plan on deworming when they are 2 weeks old.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.