Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 10 year old pit about 60 lbs. She has not eaten

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 10 year old pit bull about 60 lbs. She has not eaten today and is now shivering. Maybe she is constipated. One thing that did happened is that on Sunday she walked through wet Round Up. What do you recommend we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the bull will be able to digest that. What is the bull's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: We don't know her history. She was dropped at our house about a year ago, but has seemed fine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Barbara,

Sorry to hear that Molly is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I very much doubt that what you are seeing is related to the Roundup, but while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is not eating and shivering makes me think that it is possible that Molly is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible. I have to say that under these circumstances what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Molly to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly. { The same would apply if she is constipated or if this is Roundup related }

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Molly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Hopefully, she will not get any worse overnight, and we can see her vet tomorrow.

That sounds like a good plan, but I should be about online if anything changes, please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott