Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We went on an almost 7 mile hike earlier today, and tonight

Customer Question

We went on an almost 7 mile hike earlier today, and tonight his urine was dark brown. It seemed to clear up towards the end of our walk tonight, but I wanted to look into it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. His feet are okay. he probably could've had more water during our hike. Could it be dehydration?
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please take a look here: http://www.healthline.com/health/brown-urine-causes#Overview1

My initial thought was that the brown indicated rhabdomyolysis caused by muscle injury from intense exercise. Has he done such a lengthy hike previously? Yes, dehydration can be a factor as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We usually stick to about 3.5 miles max. This trail was longer than I thought it would be.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His behavior is perfectly normal, and his eyes and gums are normal color as well.

You sound like me. What's supposed to be a 3 mile hike ends up twice as long because I just have to see where this trail and that trail goes...

I would "watchful wait" at this time. Provide unlimited water and watch his urine over the next 24 hours. I suspect that it will normalize. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate it. I will do that. Like I said he urinated right before we came inside about 15 minutes ago and it was already pretty clear.

That's good to hear. In rare cases, IV fluids are necessary in order to flush out myoglobin released by injured muscles. Myoglobin can damage the kidneys. It doesn't sounds as if that will be necessary, however. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.