Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We noticed this morning our shih tzu poodle mix's left eye

Customer Question

We noticed this morning our shih tzu poodle mix's left eye was squinty. This afternoon we noticed that the pupil for this eye is dilated more than the right eye. What could cause this? Is there need to be concerned? He is about 5 years old, weighs about 15 pounds. He won't let us look very much at his eyes. He rubs at it some.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Amanda, the combination of blepherospasm (squinting) and mydriasis (a dilated pupil) is worrisome for the pain of glaucoma - increased intraocular pressure. Buddy's vet will want to thoroughly examine that eye at your earliest convenience. Time is of the essence if glaucoma is present as it can blind my patient very quickly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What kind of treatment options are there for glaucoma? Could there be any other causes to his eye being bothered? He does have long hair around his eyes.

Glaucoma is ultimately a surgical problem although an attempt to control eye pressure with ophthalmic and systemic drugs is often begun as soon as possible. Yes, blepherospasm is a sign of pain and so his cornea may be scratched, abraded, or ulcerated. I would expect miosis (a smaller than normal pupil) rather than mydriasis, however, in those cases.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you. I will get in contact with a local vet in my area. Thank you for your time.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.