Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a 20mo old chi mix who has either an allergy or an

Customer Question

I have a 20mo old chi mix who has either an allergy or an eye infection. She has lost 80% of the hair around her eye also. It is centered in one eye only. She scratches at it and breaks the skin. I have been using Neosporin on the cuts and 1/2 of a benadryl twice a day. She is 21#s. Money is an issue so going to get clinic is something I can not manage right now. What can I do to help her heal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Unfortunately if it is an actual eye infection you will need to see your vet for prescription antibiotic drops. You may also be looking at a torn cornea which requires a different treatment.

What I would do until you can see your vet is prevent her from scratching the eye by using an Elizabethan collar (cone collar) to limit her from scratching or rubbing the eye causing further damage.

If there is a wound on the skin around the eye washing it and keeping it clean will help but if you use an ointment and the eye is not protected then that ointment gets rubbed into the eye which may be the source of irritation.

Since money is an issue you may want to look into carecredit.com and you can fill out an application on line. This source does not charge an interest for a year so there is time to pay the bill off.