Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What can you give a dog that is constipated

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long since the last time she had a bowel movement?

2- Is she eating and drinking?

3- Is she trying to go?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It about 1 and half days since she went. She is eating a little I haven't seen her drinking. Yes she is trying to go but not all the time. She weighs about ten lbs . No pre existing conditions. She seems to want to lay around.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Patricia, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Princess. In response to your question, a very important component when treating with constipation is hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. 2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food.3- As a stool softener, you can give a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every12- 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy. 4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener. 5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by a veterinarian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter