Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 4 year old male poodle x (cavoodle), Archie, who

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old male poodle x (cavoodle), Archie, who this afternoon just became listless. On our usual walk he kept looking up at me and slowing down. Finally, I picked him up and although I did not do anything different when I picked him up, he "yelped" several times. I could not find anything wrong when I sat down and tried feeling him all over. He didn't yelp further at my touching. He has, in the past, been subject to being "woosy" when picked up, for what appears to be unknown reasons and then, nothing for many months. I carried him most of the way home, setting him down a few times to see if anything was different. He walked for awhile, and then looked up at me, until I picked him up again. I could not find anything like a "tick", but then he is so fluffy, I certainly could have missed it. When we got home he would not drink water as usual, but when I cupped the water in my hand, he took it. The same with his food. This is VERY unusual. He has gone straight to his bed and appears OK, and the food and water have stayed down. He has a birth-brother, Winston, who has shown no signs of whatever is wrong with Archie and they spend every moment together. Although twins, Archie weighs 4 kgs, while Winston weighs 6 kgs. I wondered if Archie maybe ate something in the garden, which Winston left alone.
They are both asleep now. Just like people, do dogs go off colour sometimes? Both these dogs are extremely healthy and have never had a problem before now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does Archie have any history of illness or injury? Is he willing to climb stairs and jump onto elevated surfaces?

Im afraid I cannot offer an International phone call at this time. Would you like to keep working together online?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I advised in my question, Archie has never been ill or had a history of injury or illness. He usually jumps most of the time, but tonight he would not jump up at all.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there?

It sounds very likely that Archie is dealing with some discomfort in his neck or back. You can learn more about this here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_intervertebral_disc_disease and here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ .

Ideally, we'd like to see Archie examined by a vet, diagnosed and treated. Typically canine-safe NSAIDs are recommended, muscle relaxers, pain medication and strict cage rest. It should be noted that if this happened to Archie that it may also happen to Winston in the near future.

Failing a vet visit, we can use aspirin in a pinch if no medical issues are known and the pet is not on any meds. Dosage info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ And, again, strict cage rest is indicated for the days to weeks following. Try to keep Archie from jumping onto or off of furniture in the future as this may cause more issues or worsening symptoms.