How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16274
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ingested tomcat mice poison what can we dom

Customer Question

Dog ingested tomcat mice poison what can we dom
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How much?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 hours
Don't know how much if any at all may have eaten some marijuana
11 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

In that case, can you tell me what signs you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lathergic
Dilated eyes
Wobbly
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Temperature is 101
Heart rate is normal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blood or difficulty breathing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure if it was even poison
Since no vomiting or diarrhea
Possible marijuana ingested or wild mushroom as we live in a rain forest
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now those are quite vague signs, so he isn't giving us much clue to which he has had but it sounds like a intoxication. So, we have to assume the worst and consider the mouse poison here. In doing so, our supportive care will help with our other concern as well. Now the problem with Bromethalin is that it is not an anticoagulant based poison. This means that there is not antidote for this toxin. Instead, treatment is even more based on quick action to prevent absorption of this drug. This means we need to act fast if 2 hours have already passed.

In regards ***** ***** to do here, if he is only mildly lethargic we need to induce vomiting immediately. If he is very sedated and collapsed, then we cannot and need to use the following alternatives. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise (especially if he is very sedate), you will want to give activated charcoal from the pharmacy to bind any remaining material in his stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.

If you struggle to any of the above or cannot obtain activated charcoal or peroxide quickly, then we'd not want to delay in getting him to his vet. They will have these treatments on hand to prevent absorption and be able to treat with IV fluids to flush this out and medications to prevent toxin associated brain swelling.

Overall, we have a serious situation with both types of intoxication. Therefore, the key here is to act quick and induce vomiting to get this out of his system. Afterwards we need to block any residual drug absorption with activated charcoal to bind anything still in his system. And if you have any issue or delay, then we'd want to get the local ER vet involved since there is no antidote for these baits unlike the others.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well good she's been at the vet we rushed her there she was alert all the way
And responsive
They are keeping her overnight and doing exactly what you said
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Good!

I am very glad to hear that they are since we need to counteract this toxicity and those straightforward treatments will help with all our possible toxicity concerns. So, she is in the right place and sounds to be on the right track.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vet asked and said she showed symptoms of possible marijuana ingestion
as we have teenage sons at home
vet said her heart rate was normal not elevated at all as would be with poison and her temperature was normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I have seen some that haven't had changes to those (it is dose dependant), so we cannot exclude it unless they have a drug test kit and can check a blood sample. But in any case, the above treatment would be indicated and it if was marijuana that she got into then she has a very good prognosis for a full recovery with care.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well she is doing fine she pulled through
We believe it was not rat poison
Thank you for your follow up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

That is great news and I am glad to hear that she is well. :)

Best wishes and a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )