Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 13 pound shiztu threw up a mouse that had probably died

Customer Question

My 13 pound shiztu threw up a mouse that had probably died from poison under our house. Immediately after she did she threw up the whole mouse. Do I need to take her to a vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: It was a little mouse but I don't know what kind of poison my husband put out.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No . I saw the mouse and she had not chewed it up, it all came out with her nightly treats.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, if the mouse had been poisoned then for your dog to be affected by the toxicity she would have to have digested the mouse in her stomach and then absorbed any rodent poison it contained. The fact she vomited the mouse whole means she is not at risk. There are no measures you need take in this sort of situation, your dog should be just fine.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the mouse incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.