Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

His lip is swollen after a walk, Nothing on feet - it's his

Customer Question

His lip is swollen after a walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing on feet - it's his lip. I don't see a wound and he is not too concerned about me touching it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Well, let's see - I am in the process of changing his food to a hypoallergenic food recently (duck). I am in the 50/50 stage (50% old kind mixed with 50% new kind). But the swelling came on suddenly - just within the last hour
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like he is having an allergic reaction or he was stung by something. Do you have benadryl? How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 22 pounds and no, I don't have any
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

Ok I would go to the store and buy 25mg tablets. Give him one now and then repeat every 12 hours until his lip is back to normal. If he will let you hold a cold pack on the lip for 20 minutes every hour until bedtime.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

Monitor him for the next 8 hours. If the swelling spreads to the face, his gums turn pale or an abnormal color, he becomes very lethargic and will not get up, or you notice anything else concerning then take him to the ER vet right away because he could be having a severe allergic reaction and need a cortisone shot to stop it.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby