Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been vomiting for the past two days and she just

Customer Question

Hi! My dog has been vomiting for the past two days and she just pooped blood. Her gums are also white. I noticed too that her stomach was gurgling a lot last night. Can I give her children's ibuprofen?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so because we keep her in the bedroom with no other food besides her dog food. Yesterday we changed the dog food so I don't think her symptoms are caused by diet change.
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's about 5 pounds and is mixed breed.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?
Customer: She's pretty much active most of the time but recently when the symptoms started, she hasn't been too active. She is also not vaccinated yet and she is 2.5 years old.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. No
2. 2-3 hours
3. No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am really sorry that you are having this problem with Ellie. In response to your question, do not give Ibuprofen it will make things worst. When we see vomiting with blood in the stool this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I am a bit concern about her gums being white, this could be a sign of anemia, severe dehydration, blood shifting to other organs, etc. Dogs with pale or white gums that go untreated by a veterinarian could have a fatal outcome. For this reason, I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination as soon as you can. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue giving her water every hour or so. Leave her without food for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter