Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My dog Macy is 50 lb Red heeler/German Shep mix. She got her

Customer Question

My dog Macy is 50 lb Red heeler/German Shep mix. She got her annual shots this past sat. 2 injections & 1 nasal squirt. I'm not sure what three meds were. I assume rabies, distemper and ???. Sometime either Sat pm or early Sun a.m she vomited (a lot) all over my son's bed. (deep yellow liquid). Nothing solid. She did it again late sun p.m. or early mon a.m. my son just called and said she did it again this afternoon. I tried to call the vet that gave the shots but are closed already for the day. Any idea what could be causing vomitting? Her diet has not changed. Nor having any living conditions. No change in family or home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Macy got her vaccinations on Saturday and has had vomiting episodes off and on since then. A vaccine reaction is quite possible here as the cause of the vomiting. The yellow liquid was bile, which is vomited when a pet has an empty stomach.

How is her activity level? Is she lethargy, depressed or unresponsive?

What is her gum color? Pink or pale?

If she is otherwise stable, then a mild reaction is likely and we can try to treat her at home with Benadryl to see if we can combat the reaction that is occurring and stabilize her condition.

- Dr. H