Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a patient that ate half of a chlorine pool tablet?

Customer Question

Hi...we have a patient that ate half of a chlorine pool tablet? Should we induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 96 pound lab..no oral bleeding...dog is acting normal
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jaspar and 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Jaspar?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will we get an answer soon?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We want to make sure we don't get charged anything..using the free trial.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How long since he ate the chlorine pool tablet?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, do Not induce vomiting. The concern with the ingestion of chlorine pool tablets is that it can be very corrosive in the gastrointestinal tract, it will be worse if she vomits and it goes into her lungs. Instead, give her 1 cup of milk to dilute the tablet and protect the gastrointestinal tract. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol. You can start Jaspar on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. Symptoms that would require a vet visit are abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, excessive drooling, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter