How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16261
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog at a cube of mouse/rat poison.

Customer Question

My dog at a green cube of mouse/rat poison.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

How long ago did Cali eat it?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
30 minutes ago she ate about 2/3 of the block.
Test I have hydrogen peroxide.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have peroxide
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because mouse baits and rat baits are incredibly toxic to dogs if ingested to dogs and rodents. Baits like this kill rodents by interfering with the clotting cascade, which essentially causes the rodent to have problems with their blood. It also does the same thing to dogs when they eat it, so getting him in to see a vet sooner, rather than later is the key to making a full recovery.

Before heading out to the vet, you can attempt to get her to vomit at home. You can give her up to 3 teaspoons at once and then give it about 5 minutes to see if she vomits. If she doesn't, then you can give her a second dose. Since it's been about 30 minutes since she ate it, odds are that she has already absorbed a little, so even if you get her to vomit, she should be seen by an emergency vet tonight.

They'll induce vomiting again and then get her started on an IV to flush her system and get her started on some Vitamin K to help keep any more of the poison from being absorbed into her system.

There's more information on ingestion of rodenticide here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1765

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.
Hi Toni,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cali. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN