Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has diarrhea. We took it to a vet two weeks ago, he

Customer Question

my dog has diarrhea. We took it to a vet two weeks ago, he thought the problem was stress related and he gave the dog two needles and also tablets and medicine to be taken for 5 days. The problem went away for for 4 or 5 days. Her diet is still cooked chicken and rice as recommended by the vet. The diarrhea has come back although she is still on the same diet, she is 13 years old, she still has all her teeth. Her weight is 3.5kg, What can I do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides diarrhea?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

4- Any blood in the stool?

5- Did your vet do any testing like fecal analysis, blood work or x-rays?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diarrhea has come back
Customer: Bella, she is 13 years old, and weighs 3.5kg, and still has all her teeth
Customer: She is generally in good health, she is a little bit of the nervous type, up to date with all her needles. We went away for two weeks and she spend that time with the daughter which has 2 dogs and 3 kids, when we took her to the vet a week later, the vet said her diarrhea was caused by stress, she came good by the time she finished her medicine, but she has diarrhea again although she is still on her diet of chicken & rice.
Customer: 1 She was also vomiting at the time. 2 No - 3 No- 4 There was two weeks ago, now there is none. 5 NO
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Luke, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Bella. Diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepto Bismol over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, continue on the diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into the regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Discuss with your vet about doing some testing like fecal analysis, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Luke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter