Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He started sneezing and coughing, now eating grass with

Customer Question

He started sneezing and coughing, now eating grass with reckless abandon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pi, 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about pi?
Customer: He ate some goose dookie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

What kind of dog is Pi?

How long has he been doing this?

Any vomiting that you've noticed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Hi there hes a golden doodle, born 3/14/14

He ate a bunch of grass, vomited once. Seems to be doing better. He ate some.more grass and also drank almost a bowl of water. He ran around a bit and seems okay.

The weird sneeze cough started around 45 mins ago (6:25pm et) and he ate the goose deuce around 3:30pm et

He seems okay

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset from eating the goose deuce.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.
Hi D,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN