Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 11 yr old Dachund that has started hacking and

Customer Question

I have a 11 yr old Dachund that has started hacking and gagging every time he eats anything lately. any ideas.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the hack's name?
Customer: CoCo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about CoCo?
Customer: Weight about 16lbs has a yeast growth on his skin that makes him lick himself all the time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. There could be a few serious issues going on. A problem with the esophagus or larynx are the first two things I would look at. That can include inflammation, a tumor, a stricture, a foreign body or a granulamatous lesion (usually from a parasite or fungal infection). You can see coughing after eating with heart issues and collapsing trachea as well. If his teeth are in bad shape, he may not be chewing his food all the way have more difficulty swallowing larger pieces. Food allergies and a bacterial or viral infection are also possible but less likely. It is a problem I would have your vet check out. They may need to sedate him to get a good look into the throat or get an x-ray of that area. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.