Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

I was cleaning the yard and I caught my dog chewing on a

Customer Question

I was cleaning the yard and I caught my dog chewing on a philodendron stem. What should do do and then he seemed like he swallowed something like a stem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry that Buddy has gotten into your plant. Philidendron can be toxic to dogs, but it is a local irritation rather than a systemic one. If a very small amount, it is likely that it will not cause much irritation. You may want to make sure that he is eating and drinking normally, and monitor for any signs of discomfort. If you feel that he has ingested a large amount, or if he is already showing signs of discomfort, bring him to a vet for evaluation as soon as possible. If you are interested or very concerned, you can also elect to call a poison control specialist who can give you details on how harmful this plant can be based on the amount and the weight of your dog. There is a fee for for this and they will charge you over the phone. The phone number to animal poison control is(###) ###-####and the fee is $65. You may want to save this number for the future too in case your pet gets into other toxic items. If you elect to watch buddy, look for signs of pain, discomfort (especially in the abdomen), diarrhea, or drooling, difficulty eating or swallowing. Have him seen by a vet if you notice any of these. Hope this helps!

Best,

Dr. Pearl