How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pearl Tjoa Your Own Question
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 52
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pearl Tjoa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was cleaning the yard and I caught my dog chewing on a

Customer Question

I was cleaning the yard and I caught my dog chewing on a philodendron stem. What should do do and then he seemed like he swallowed something like a stem
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry that Buddy has gotten into your plant. Philidendron can be toxic to dogs, but it is a local irritation rather than a systemic one. If a very small amount, it is likely that it will not cause much irritation. You may want to make sure that he is eating and drinking normally, and monitor for any signs of discomfort. If you feel that he has ingested a large amount, or if he is already showing signs of discomfort, bring him to a vet for evaluation as soon as possible. If you are interested or very concerned, you can also elect to call a poison control specialist who can give you details on how harmful this plant can be based on the amount and the weight of your dog. There is a fee for for this and they will charge you over the phone. The phone number to animal poison control is(###) ###-####and the fee is $65. You may want to save this number for the future too in case your pet gets into other toxic items. If you elect to watch buddy, look for signs of pain, discomfort (especially in the abdomen), diarrhea, or drooling, difficulty eating or swallowing. Have him seen by a vet if you notice any of these. Hope this helps!

Best,

Dr. Pearl