Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a dachshund and she is 9 years old. I noticed last

Customer Question

I have a dachshund and she is 9 years old. I noticed last night that she has a small mass on the left side of her throat. It's not very big and it doesn't hurt her when I touch it. It's pretty solid and it's not hot or anything. She is eating just fine and I haven't noticed any changes with her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Her name is Bella
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Her teeth have started rotting and falling out over the last couple of years. Other than that, she's very healthy. She sneezes alot and she itches alot, even though she's an inside dog and there are no fleas.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

If you feel on the left side of Lola's neck, do you notice any swelling there?

Approximately how big is that lump?

Does it seem to be on the surface of the skin, or buried under it?

Is it hard, or soft and squishy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her name is ***** ***** the lump is maybe the size of a small gumball. It's under the surface of the skin...buried. It's a more solid mass it feels like. It doesn't seem to hurt her when I touch it. We just noticed it last night, so this is something new that must have popped up. She's eating normal...barking like normal. She's 9 so she's not extremely active....but she's still pretty active.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Awesome. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The lump is something that could have many causes: inflamed lymph node, sebaceous cyst, lipoma. Because of her age and the description you gave me of what it feels like, I'm suspecting it's a lipoma or a sebaceous cyst, but I'm just guessing.

Here's more reading on lipomas and other cancers: http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html

On cysts: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sebaceous-cysts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

On lymph nodes: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1614&articleid=319

The only way to positively identify what sort of lump or bump your dog has is, unfortunately, also through a trip to the vet. A fine needle biopsy (where the vet inserts a needle into one of the bumps and tries to aspirate/pull out material to look at under the microscope) will tell the vet, without question, what sort of problem your dog is having.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would I notice her behaving differently or are there any physical signs she may be exhibiting if it were one of those 2 things you mentioned? How quickly would I need to get her to the vet if it it one of those 2 things?
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

No, if it's a sebaceous cyst or lipoma, there really isn't any other signs, and you don't have to rush her to the vet or anything tonight, but if it gets bigger, then I'd have her seen.