How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 24421
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate about 11 ounces of chocolate Eminem's. They

Customer Question

My dog just ate about 11 ounces of chocolate Eminem's. They are the milk chocolate kind. He weighs about 33 pounds. I have given him Hydro Tempra side but so far no result in him puking anything up. I was told to give it in 30 minutes after the first dose if he doesn't do it. Is he at a toxic level? Should I bring him
In ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Cooper would have had to ingest ~33 ounces of pure milk chocolate to intoxicate himself with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors when ingested in toxic doses. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Cooper wasn't intoxicated.

You should still try to induce emesis with 30 mL (two measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. Don't repeat the dose if he doesn't vomit lest his stomach becomes too irritated from the peroxide. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.