Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my 8 yr old Welsh Terrier my have reflux. He has a

Customer Question

I think my 8 yr old Welsh Terrier my have reflux. He has a "chronic" cough that usually starts up in the evening but not every night when it occurs it seems to be painful. We adopted him 2 year-ago and were told by the previous owner that he was checked by two vets that found nothing but... he wasn't checked for reflux.i now feed him twice a day instead of once I've read that 4 times day might help but I doubt if he'll eat 4 times a day
Is there a diet I should try or would a Tums in the evening help?
He is not a dog that is food driven and giving him a pill is a nightmare.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lad.

If he is prone to acid reflux, then it would be ideal to have him on an OTC antacid to see if we can reduce that for him. In regards ***** ***** you could use Tums (60-120mg every 8-12 hours) and they can be crushed to mix with water to syringe feed if he isn’t keen to take tablets (which need to be given on an empty stomach without food if used). Otherwise, you could alternatively use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia –0.25tsp every 8-12 hours).

Finally in regards ***** ***** we don’t tend to find any one of benefit for acid reflux as much as dividing his total ration of food for the day into those smaller meals. But if he isn’t keen to eat in that manner consider leaving food down for him through the day and offering a bedtime snack to help him try to manage this better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sharon Wottrich,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wegi. How is everything going?

Dr. B.