Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 70 pound lab mix ate about 4 oz. of Velveeta Mexican

Customer Question

my 70 pound lab mix ate about 4 oz. of Velveeta Mexican style cheese
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i expect he'll have an upset stomach and some diarhea, but should I worry about anything else.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Bailey is a 4 year old lab border collie mix
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please do not be too concerned, cheese in any form is not toxic to dogs and with a dog of Bailey's size it is very possible that you will not see any adverse symptoms of any sort. However some dogs may have a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea purely because of the sudden ingestion of an unusual rich food source for dogs, but that's about it.

2. I think the best plan is just to keep an eye on Bailey for now and see what happens, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its not so much the cheese that concerns me as it is that the cheese contains jalapeno peppers. i know that dogs are not suppose to eat things that are particularly spicy.

No problem, I am aware of the pepper content, again these are not toxic to dogs but could contribute to a minor bout of gastroenteritis, but should this occur it is not likely to be serious and should pass on it's own given time.

The great thing here is that you have a larger dog ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you very much.

No problem, I should be about if you become concerned ...

He should be fine though.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bailey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Mexican cheese incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?