Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has either a growth or a scab on his paw and I'm not

Customer Question

My dog has either a growth or a scab on his paw and I'm not quite sure what it is. It feels scaly like a scab. Any thoughts based on this picture?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been present?

Does he lick or chew at it?

Are you seeing a bright red ring of redness around it (the photo gives the impression of some inflammation)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi- he does not chew it at all, he does not seem to know it's there. Doesn't bother him. There is a red ring around the scabby part. Been present for about 2.5 days.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not bright red tho... it's more flesh colored
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now based on its appearance (though the soft focus and hair make the scab hard to examine in detail) this does look more like a scab over inflamed skin then a mass. It is quite possible that he may have had a previous tick bite or trauma here. Therefore, since it is not causing him bother (often active growth stretching the skin will be chewed/bitten at), you can try salt water bathing (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this +/- applying an OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce that mild inflammation. Generally speaking, traumatic skin lesions will settle in a week or two and often the scab will fall away at that time. So, we'd want to monitor but this doesn't look sinister for Frankie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you much..not sure how to get a better picture as I only have a phone camera. :( I just wanted to make sure it didn't exhibit any obvious mass / tumor / growth -like symptoms. I will definitely be monitoring it and if it doesn't improve will take him to our vet. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

I understand and it can be tricky when our pets are covered in hair too.

In any case, this doesn't look like a nasty cancer and therefore we'd just want to monitor it for any growth but I would expect it to continue to settle and drop off in time.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.