How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pearl Tjoa Your Own Question
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 52
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pearl Tjoa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our vet did a 4DX SNAP test and said our dog came back

Customer Question

Our vet did a 4DX SNAP test and said our dog came back positive for Lyme disease. we have researched and it's confusing. she is not showing any symptoms of the disease. Treatment recommended will run about $500 now - $300 every 6 months - we aren't sure what to do as we have read that dogs build antibodies and may not become symptomatic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: 3.5 years old - a shorky - healthy appetite, very active,
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I will try to answer your question. If it is true that your pet has lyme disease, it is crucial to treat. That being said, it is important to assess a test based on history. It is important to know why the test was being done in the first place for Daisy. Was the veterinarian looking for lyme disease because of suspected signs? It seems to be an incidental finding as you noted that your pet is not symptomatic. Daisy will have to have been exposed to an infectious tick to get Lyme disease. It's possible she did have exposure. If the chances are rare, and she is not showing any signs, you may opt for a repeat test to confirm as not all tests are 100% accurate. Also, you may talk to your vet about additional blood tests to confirm for lyme disease (in addition to snap test, there are other tests you can do by submitting your pet's blood to a lab). Then if you are still getting positive tests, you may elect to treat even though Daisy is not symptomatic because the symptoms can be very severe. Hopefully this helps you make a decision on what to do!

Good luck,

Dr. Pearl