Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My eleven year old goldern retreiver seems to have lots of

Customer Question

My eleven year old goldern retreiver seems to have lots of aches and pain. Can I give her an Advil. I'm 76 and it works for me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: Not really. She is eating well and goes for a walk every day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

I am sorry to hear Molly is feeling painful. Thank you for recognizing that she is in need of pain medication. Older dogs can benefit greatly from arthritis supplements and medications, however, Advil is NOT SAFE for dogs. There are several safe NSAIDs that can be given that are specially made for dogs. Your vet will be able to prescribe one of these safer options for her.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The problem is they are very expensive and advil is cheap. I just got Carproven from my vet. 25 pills for $25. Not even a month's supply. Rimadyl is even more. How about a baby aspirin?

Generic meloxicam tablets are $4 at Target for a bottle of 30. This would likely be a 2 month supply for her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat