Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I recently found that my dog she is a hundred pound

Customer Question

I recently found that my dog she is a hundred pound chocolate Labrador who is 11 years old has fleas I have treated her with Frontline as well as placing a flea collar and giving her a flea bath. And I am still noticing several eggs on her body accompanied by excessive itching scratching hair loss swelling and Heat and random parts of her body, I am concerned because there's no lumps that are also showing up that she seems to be quite irritated by it when I try to look at them she's very shy away like she's in pain I don't see anything when I do look at it but I'm very concerned what shall I do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

Fleas are a very frustrating problem. Do you have any other pets at home besides Lika?

Fleas are an environmental problem. In order to get rid of them completely, an effective preventative needs to be given and we also need to treat the environment. Vaccuuming is ideal in areas of carpeting and rugs. Products containing Diatemaceous earth can be used to help dehydrate flea larvae and eggs in the environment. You can sprinkle these powdered products on the floors prior to vaccuuming.
As far as flea preventatives for Lika, you may want to try a different product. Flea collar and Frontline do not work as well as they did 10 years ago. New products such as Bravecto, Nexguard, Trifexis, and Comfortis are all very effective options.

Hi Jen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lika. How is everything going?

Katie Volat