Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Her gums are turning black, Sadie and she is 7, No

Customer Question

Her gums are turning black
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sadie and she is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There are two major considerations for Sadie with very different prognoses. The first is a condition called lentigo which is an asymptomatic condition composed of hyperpigmented flat macules or patches. Think of this as a type of freckle. The second is the very dangerous melanoma which will caused raised and irregular hyperpigmented inflammation in the mouth. It would be expected to be focal (in one place) rather than spread throughout Sadie's mouth as with lentigo. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.