Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He drinks water and then throws up-not always, but every few

Customer Question

he drinks water and then throws up-not always, but every few days I did take him to the vet, they said blood work and exam were totally normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, its been happening occasionally for about 2 weeks
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: 2 year old great Dane
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Oliver. It's important to note that blood work won't be helpful in identifying causes of vomiting that are due to primary gastrointestinal disorders. Anatomical disorders such as megaesophagus (a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus) and functional disorders involving the motility of the GI tract such as an achalasia (swallowing defect), hiatal hernia, and pyloric stenosis (gastric outflow obstruction) need to be imaged by either X-rays (+/- barium swallow) or ultrasound performed on Oliver's upper GI tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.