Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

He coughs and seems to lose his balamce, We just rescued him

Customer Question

He coughs and seems to lose his balamce
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We just rescued him he was running the streets around our house. He about 1 -2 years old his name is ***** ***** got that name from all our neighbors when we were trying to get him
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benji?
Customer: We took him to our vet to get him checked out, flees taken care of checked for heart worm and got his shots. this condition seams to be getting worse
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today with Benji. Give me a moment to type up a response.

Losing balance after coughing can be caused by a couple of different things. One is a vasovagal response, where coughing (or other activity) causes a sudden drop in heart rate and blood pressure, leading to incoordination, collapse, etc. This is fairly common and not concerning.

It could also be a sign of syncope, where the brain is not getting enough oxygen due to heart disease. I assume he was heartworm negative. Any heart murmur?

Correcting the cough would be the first step. Your veterinarian would be able to prescribe medication for the cough, such as antibiotics or cough suppressants.

Dr. Snow