Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Bloody stool along with bloody mucas and spots of blood

Customer Question

Bloody stool along with bloody mucas and spots of blood around stool.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: scout female 2yrs,12lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: scout
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about scout?
Customer: think she ate something from yard yesterday pm but not sure she and our other dog were in kennel for 2 nights prior to this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Scout who has some bloody mucus around her stool. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It definitely sounds as though Scout has a large bowel problem - particular if she has fresh blood and mucus in her stools. The most likely cause in a young female all of a sudden like this would be 'colitis' an inflammation of the colon which can occur due to stress (ie the kennel) or even just an abrupt change of diet. Hopefully she is up to date with her vaccinations and deworming treatments as well, as we would even have to consider intestinal worms or an infectious viral cause here.

If the bloody stool continues for more than a couple of days, then you should take a sample in an icecream container or something similar so that your Vet can send it to the lab for a fecal culture so that we know what is going on here. For now, you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Please also keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next day or two. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.