Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She can't walk down the stairs and has a hard time standing

Customer Question

She can't walk down the stairs and has a hard time standing like she's off balance. Her tail is between her legs tucked under and wagging fast.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I see a small black circle on her back leg but she won't let me get close enough to look at it.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dakota 9 year old bloodhound
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dakota?
Customer: She takes desmopressin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she licking the circle on the back leg?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This just started tonight when I made her get out of her bed to pee before I went to bed. I just noticed it when trying to help her walk so I don't know if she's been licking it or not.

1- What happen tonight the balance issue or the small black circle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For the past 7 months or so she has been on Desmopressin for her large water intake
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The balance issue. After she fell down the stairs I was helping her stand up and that's when I saw the circle.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Years ago a dog of mine had vestibular. This reminded me of it but no head tilt.

To make sure I got this right, she fell tonight because she started having balance issues and this is how the lesion in the leg occurred, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it looks like the lesion was already there. I just noticed it then

What about the balance issue, this started tonight?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Can you see if her eyes are going side to side or up and down?

3- Is she better now or is she still having balance issues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has not vomitted tonight. She did vomit the day before. I cannot see her eyes she's sleeping on her bed now.

Friend, I am sorry, but, I don't think I could be of much help without a hands-on examination. I am going to opt out so another expert could help you. I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. May I have an update on Dakota, please? A vestibular disorder is still a consideration even if head tilt and nystagmuc (eyes flicking back and forth) aren't seen. General weakness, however, such as seen with profound anemia can also cause her behavior.