Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is acting like she has a very bad stomach ache she

Customer Question

my dog is acting like she has a very bad stomach ache she threw up a couple of times she is drewling and whimpering like it really hurts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she hasn't eaten at all today
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lucy she's 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lucy?
Customer: she's trys to bite her butt and chew on the leg of the chair
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Lucy is not feeling well, My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Breed?

5- Pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we don't think she ate anything it's been going on for about 4 hours she weigh's 10lbs and she's a shih tzu she just had a check up last week and she was doing fine
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
lucy seems to be getting better i gave her pepto bismal and a few droppers full of water she was dreweling so much i though maybe she was getting dehydrated.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am happy to learn she is doing better. I would not give her anymore Pepto Bismol. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter