Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is sick, she won't eat or drink, is very lethargic

Customer Question

My dog is sick, she won't eat or drink, is very lethargic and vomiting. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She hasn't used the bathroom either. This started yesterday morning.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Age?

4- Breed?

5- Weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think she may have eaten some ruined meat. It that's all I can think of. No pre-existing conditions. She is a 5 1/2 month old ***** ***** Shortie. She probably weighs around 10 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No diarrhea, she has some bad gas, but that's all. Throwing up frothy stuff.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She threw up like 30 minutes ago. Her gums are pretty pale like a whitish pink. I don't have a rectal thermometer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am so sorry your puppy is sick. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, vomiting, and lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, in a puppy, common causes are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I am really concern about her gums being pale/white, this is a sign that she could be anemic; or, is very dehydrated or blood is shifting to other organs. Dogs that have pale gums and are lethargic often have a fatal outcome without veterinary care, I am sorry. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. Your puppy needs to see a veterinarian tonight for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. In addition, she will need the supportive care of IV fluids, antiemetics, etc. I would strongly recommend taking her to the nearest ER veterinarian, do not wait. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter