Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have just moved and our dog has been somewhat traumatized

Customer Question

We have just moved and our dog has been somewhat traumatized by this. She is constipated, but eating well. What can I give her to help relieve the discomfort?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she just turned 4.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She is a registered Havanese and has always been in good health.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is Bella eating currently?
2) Are you seeing any soft stool or diarrhea?
3) Any blood in the stool?
4) Any vomiting?
5) How often is she defecating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We drove for 3 days to get to our new location. She has basically not defecated since we left our home 5 days ago. She eats Candide adult dog kibble on a regular basis, but since she hasn't been defecating, we have been giving her a little yogurt mixed with pumpkin puree in the evenings. She seems healthy, and fairly active, but just not going potty.

You can immediately start by giving her 1tsp per 10# ***** mineral oil. This can be done up to twice daily and should produce a BM within 24 hours. You may need to mix it into something palatable, such as her food, to get her to consume it readily. Keep giving the pumpkin, as well, and be watchful of any fecal production and consumption due to stress. Most dogs who have not defecated in 5 days would not be eating well, which suggests she is either going somewhere that hasn't been found or hiding the evidence if she is going.

Hopefully this treatment will have her back to 'normal' soon.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800