Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm dog sitting a friends dog. Think he drank a pine sol

Customer Question

I'm dog sitting a friends dog. Think he drank a pine sol water solution. Not sure how much. Threw up quite a bit last night. Fed him this morning (before I realized he had been sick). I think he ate half of breakfast (other dog may have got the rest) and seems to be keeping it down. He's quite lethargic but no signs of burns in his mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He's a rather large dog. About 140lbs so not so easy for me to manage getting in car.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The ingredients in Pine Sol are water which acts as a base, C10-12 alcohol ethoxylates and sodium C14-17 secondary alkyl sulfonate are grease-cutting surfactants, or cleaning agents, used in cleaning products such as laundry detergent. Glycolic acid is used to remove soap scum, discoloration and scale deposits in toilets and bathtubs. Dimethicone/silica/PEG distearates are used mainly as defoamers. Caramel is added to improve the product's appearance and to let the consumer know if the product is working when it is applied. Xanthan gum is used as a biodegradable thickener. These ingredients aren't significant toxins unless ingested in excess. Inducing emesis - even if just ingested - isn't recommended. Instead, we attempt to dilute the product by encouraging water intake and tempting our patient with tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons.

It's quite late in the game, however, for diluting to be of value. At this point, you need only watch for signs of further gastrointestinal distress such as persistent inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. May I have an update on him, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. He's actually perked back up. The pine sol was diluted in water, although I think he drank quite a bit. But I've been getting him to drink water and he's seeming interested in food. Phew! I think being that he's such a huge dog and a farm dog who's into everything, he's quite resilient.

Thank goodness. I appreciate the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?