Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I brought my 6 yr old male French Bulldog to the vet

Customer Question

I brought my 6 yr old male French Bulldog to the vet yesterday for a rash and bumps on his skin the vet said it was an allergy of some sort and prescribed 100 mg of Cefpodoxine once a day. I gave him one last night and this morning he is lethargic, drooling and shaking. Could this be a allergic reaction to this med?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the French bulldog?
Customer: He is just lying here and won't eat or drink
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this does sound like a sensitivity to the antibiotic he was started on and I'd note that his anorexia is likely due to nausea (even without vomiting). Therefore, we'd want to stop the antibiotic (we may need his vet to use an alternative he will tolerate better) and start supportive care to counter his nausea. For that you can try treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). or Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Afterwards, we can try tempting with a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).

Overall, this sounds like a sensitivity to Cefpodoxine . So, we'd want to stop the medication and use the above to soothe his stomach. If we cannot get him eating, then we'd want his vet to start injectable treatment for that +/- an alternative antibiotic for his skin.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )