Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is not wanting to eat, Daisey, she 11, She has a very

Customer Question

She is not wanting to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisey, she 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisey?
Customer: She has a very sensitive stomach and my son who wasn't aware of that fed her some left overs a few days ago. She's been not really wanting to eat since. I did get her to eat a small can of wet dog food yesterday. She does seem to be drinking a little water.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cambria Hurlimann replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Cami, and I am happy to help you with Daisey. Awe, poor girl, sorry that she is not feeling well. Some dogs can eat all types of foods and not have any problems, but others can be affected by just a bite or two of a food that isn't their normal diet. Two problems that come to mind are gastroenteritis where the stomach and intestines become inflammed, or pancreatitis where the pancreas becomes inflammed, both conditions may require medications to resolve. Since it has been more than a day since she has eaten normally, I recommend that she be examined by a veterinarian today. Regardless of what may be causing the issues, if she is not drinking much, dehydration can become a problem, especially in an older dog. Additionally, inappetance (not eating normally) can be an indicator of many other issues such as pain or internal organ dysfunction. A vet would be able to help sort out some of the possibilities, and make recommendations on the best course of treatment.

I am happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Good luck with your girl,

Dr. Cami