jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a ten-year-old male shih-tzu-bichon cross that has

Customer Question

I have a ten-year-old male shih-tzu-bichon cross that has trouble pooping. This has been going onfor a long time now. I have had him to two different small animal vets and so far nothing is working. When he does go, it will be a very large poop, about he size of ring bologna. He really strains until he is so tired he lays down and cries out in pain. I have him on a medicated dog food for digestive purposes. The vet has given me a perscription for constulose 10G/15ml soln - 3ml every 9 hours by mouth, metocolpramide 5mg - a half tablet wice a day. He gets a helping of soft dog food once a day which I put his medicine in along with pumpkin and olive oil. I don't know what else to do. I don't like seeing him in such pain. Please help me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: That is his only problem. Otherwise he is active and playful
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Pulter. Please give me a minute to type up a reply.

Can you answer a few questions for me?

Does Toby still have his testicles?

Has any of the veterinarians explained to you why this happens to him?

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If your dog is intact then you might have our vet check his prostate gland. If it is enlarged it may make defecation painful and difficult bowel movements. Polyps can also lead to painful, difficult bowel movements as well. Often with these conditions a dog will try not to defecate and/or the polyps or prostate will interfere with the feces passing. Thus the fecal matter builds up until you see fairly large feces.

You can read about these conditions on the following pages.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_rectoanal_polyps

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=914

Discuss these possibilities with your vet and see if perhaps surgery is a good option for your dog at this point.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi again,

I see you haven't reviewed the answer I supplied on the 4th of November to your question. I hope you can take this opportunity to review my answer and let me know if it is helpful.