Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 8 pound chinese crested may have injesteed about 1/3 to

Customer Question

Our 8 pound chinese crested may have injesteed about 1/3 to 1/2 of an albuteral vial. She has thrown up twice. Is there anything I can do to help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A chinese crested puppy.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Dory
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dory?
Customer: No she is otherwise fine. 6 months old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She got it a few hours ago. She has spit up water once. Her gums are pink.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care. Albuterol is quite dangerous for dogs since it can be toxic in low doses and is so quickly absorbed that we struggle to counter the absorption when they do get into these. In regards ***** ***** signs from this, the vomiting is a common one but we can also see lethargy, weakness, restlessness, elevated heart rates, and muscle tremors.

Now if she doesn't have those other signs at this stage, we can monitor for them and try to soothe Dory's stomach to halt the vomiting. To do that, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, this sounds like Dory has had a small dose of Albuterol for her size but we need to be careful. So, use the above but keep a close eye on her. Any of those other signs and we'd want her seen for symptomatic treatment. Just in case you do need a local ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )