Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My American bulldog has had bloody stools for about a week,

Customer Question

my American bulldog has had bloody stools for about a week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** think he is around 10 or 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about keno?
Customer: he is eating normally drinking a little more than normal and has to go out about every 3-4 hours. his stool is bloody and very loose
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful each time, a cupful, more or less?

What color are the stools themselves?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
keno is about 125 lbs. he seems to act normal but the stools are very bloody color is red and bloody. amount is about a cup or more gums seem pale he has not eaten anything we know of to cause this he is not vomiting at all and seems to act normal besides having to go out every 3-4 hours
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please cancel any more charges to my card I will take him to the vet !!! I will pay the 1 time fee of 20.00 dollars only !!! I do not want a membership
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

No worries and I will just post what I was typing just now:

First, I have to say that if Keno's gums are much paler then usual with this much blood loss, we need him seen urgently since that is a sign he is becoming anemic. And if left to get too severe, he may end up needing a blood transfusion.

Now in regards ***** ***** for bloody diarrhea, toxicity or gut trauma from something he ate would be a worry. Though we can also see this with viruses (parvo, haemorrhagic gastroenteritis), bacteria (ie salmonella, campylobacter) or protozoa (ie giardia, coccidia). We can also see this with ulcerations of the GI.

With this all in mind, we need to have a check with his vet to pinpoint which of the above is present as soon as we can. Any delay and we'd want to start Keno on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) +/- OTC canine probiotics can be added to firm the stools quicker and try to rebalance the gut.

In any case, I've just seen your message and that would be best for Keno.

Take care,

Dr. B.