Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog got a hold of a rubber coaster and ate most of it. He

Customer Question

My dog got a hold of a rubber coaster and ate most of it. He was fine up until about 30 minutes ago, when he threw up his food (with pieces of the coaster in it). He then was laying on the floor panting very heavily with his tongue hanging out. He just got up and went out side he had a normal bm ( I could also see some black pieces of the coaster in that as well), now his is just laying outside in the shade, but his tongue is not longer out of his mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No there isn't except that he's usually running around like crazy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the coaster consumed?
2) Is he eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last night while we were out. It appears that he has thrown up the majority of it, and I noticed some black particles in his bm he had about 15 minutes ago ( which was a normal stool) He has since come back inside and drank some water on his own. He is now laying on the bed next to me. His pupils seem to be normal, he just seems lethargic now.

The lethargy and heavy panting with his tongue out is likely due to nausea. The risk of a gastric blockage with rubber pieces is fairly substantial.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach (to stop the vomiting) and a bland diet with higher fiber (to help move ingested pieces through). If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet today or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? Anymore vomiting?