Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Cavalier Spaniel was spayed 21/2 weeks ago. Ever since

Customer Question

My King Charles Cavalier Spaniel was spayed 21/2 weeks ago. Ever since the surgery she has had trouble breathing (snory, labored breathing). This was the case when I picked her up from the surgery and she was perfect going in. I've had her back at the vet for tests and to the hospital overnight for tests and they said the whole inside of her throat is inflamed and red and they think its caused from acid reflux so she is on antacids and a steroid. Her breathing is not getting better and I'm afraid she will have to live like this. She is only 1 year old! I'm afraid permanent damage was done during surgery. What are your thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the spaniel?
Customer: Not other than she would vomit after drinking water a lot, but it was just water coming out. This as always happened.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for dogs to react to the endotracheal tube after surgery since it can irritate the tissues of the trachea and show as irritation in her throat. This is always temporary. This is used to give the inhallation anesthesia and is common. This also may be due to acid reflux but this does not happen if your sweet gal had been fasted as instructed prior to the procedure. The medications that she is on should resolve this for your gal especially the steroids if this is due to the tube which would be more common than acid reflux. If this does not resolve soon, your vet will have to run further diagnostics to determine what type of damage has been done...hopefully, this will all heal and your gal wil be fine.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been on steroids for 5 days and it doesn't seem any better and now she has diarrhea as of this morning. Would they know for sure it is not a collapsed trachea from all the tests? She has had x rays, rhinoscopy, CT of nose brain and eyes, etc. She was fasting when she went into surgery. The surgeon said her nose bled a little when she was under anesthesia. She is restles all night due to her labored breathing.

This is very unusual but your sweet gal may be more sensitive to the tube or this could have brought on a collapsing trachea that may not show up on xrays. Asthma is also on the differential list and this should show on the blood work post op....

Endoscopy of the trachea can tell your vet if there is damage to the trachea due to the tube. It appears that your vet is focusing on the nose and upper airways rather than the trachea itself. Since no results can explain your gal's distress, further diagnostics will be required. I wish I could give you an answer but without the results of further diagnostics, it is hard for me to know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have been focusing on the upper airway because of how she sounds. Do you think I should ask for an endoscopy of the trachea?

Yes, discuss this with your vet...they may have already ruled this out but may not have and examination of the trachea may give more insights into helping your sweet gal.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta