Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 6 month old pit is acting funny. She is having troubles

Customer Question

My 6 month old pit bull is acting funny.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She is having troubles standing for more than a minutes. She can walk at a good pace but when she slows down she losea balance. She has been running and seems at times like her self, then 2 minutes later she's wobbly again. And then she begins to let out little cries. She is also been gassy the past couple day. Could it be ascociated with a blocked bowel?
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is brooklyn
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about brooklyn?
Customer: Everything else has been pretty normal up till the last few hours. Right now she is playing and then we will stop and she whimpers and wobbles again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I would worry that Brooklyn may be suffering from hips dysplasia or arthritis in her hips that is causing her to lose the nerve supply to her limbs. This is not associated with a bowel blockage since the symptoms are very different. If Brooklyn is still eating, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the inflammation that may be causing this and discourage her form playing or running. Take her to your vet Monday morning for xrays to determine the actual cause for this. This condition may have been present since birth but she may have moved the wrong way and aggravated this condition causing these symptoms. This is not serious but may require repair if this is the problem.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****